Thursday, April 30, 2015

May 2015 Letter from pastor Scott

The Joy of Uncertainty

We love our routines, don’t we?  I know I do.  Nearly every morning, I do two crossword puzzles from the daily paper.  If I get interrupted and can’t finish, it takes me until at least lunchtime to get over that break in my routine!  Of course, routines can be good.  God in His Word commands that we maintain a life of “holy habits” that keep us close to Him - Bible reading, prayer, tithing, etc.

Well, in one of my holy habits this morning, I was reading “My Utmost for His Highest” by Oswald Chambers.  From the book of 1 John, he comments on, “It has not yet been revealed what we shall be.”  His words got me thinking about the church.  Take a listen…

“To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, not knowing what tomorrow may bring. This is generally expressed with a sigh of sadness, but it should be an expression of breathless expectation. We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God.  As soon as we abandon ourselves to God and do the task He has placed closest to us, He begins to fill our lives with surprises.”

I love surprises!  But do I love them at my church?  Hmmm…

I think I needed this good word today.

Hungering for Holiness,


Pastor Scott  

No comments:

Post a Comment