Tuesday, April 21, 2015

I'M BAAAAACK!!


I've never been on the cutting edge of technology.  Standing on the first tee of a golf course with some buddies years ago, the best player in the group looked down at my driver and said, "You know, Scott, the technology in drivers has come a long way in the last 10 years."  Nothing like being insulted by a buddy for a good cause.  I effectively shared my shame with Nancy when I got home.  Seeing my bottom lip quivering, she just had to agree that I needed a new driver.  Even before that, when I got my first cell phone (about 1990), another buddy smiled and said, "Welcome to the 1980s."


Twenty years ago as a young Air Force chaplain in Tacoma, Washington, I was responsible for about 650 airmen in different squadrons around the base.  I remember sitting at my desk early one morning and wishing I could see every one of them every day.  With apologies to the Apostle Paul, "Lightning struck!!"  I realized each of them had access to email at some point in the day.  I began emailing out a "chaplain's word" about twice a week.  I had created the internet!  Well, maybe not.  I guess I was blogging before blogging was...well...blogging.


It became a strategic way to have a healthy spiritual conversation with my "congregation."  In fact, thanks to technology, it grew well beyond just that initial group.


This blog is that sacred opportunity all over again.  And I cherish the opportunity and the challenge for us to grow in Christ together through this blog.


Hungering for Holiness,


Scott



1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to more blogging from our pastor. Also looking forward to the 9:30 am worship service being added as another worship time option in addition to our 8:30 am and 11:00 am worship services times already being offered at KUMC.

    ReplyDelete